What should I do if I find a dead wild animal?

You should report the dead animal to us at Garden Wildlife Health. These reports are critical in helping us to understand the disease threats to British wildlife, even if you are unable to submit a carcass.

Veterinary approval is needed for carcass submission. During the reporting process you will be asked if you are willing to submit a body for post-mortem examination. Do not submit a carcass until you have received confirmation from the vets and have printed the unique submission label. We are normally interested in receiving wild animal carcasses from the following species:

Garden Birds (not including waterfowl, wading birds or gulls*)

There are several other wild animal disease surveillance projects in Britain that solicit reports of wildlife mortality from members of the public, including:

Red Kites:

Disease Risk Analysis and Health Surveillance (DRAHS) project

*Waterfowl, wading birds or gulls and queries on avian influenza:

Defra on 08459 335577


APHA and Bat Conservation Trust Passive Surveillance (download submission form)


Cardiff Otter Project (download submission form)

Red Squirrels:

Royal Dick School of Veterinary Studies, APHA and DRAHS

Whales, dolphins, porpoises, basking sharks and marine turtles:

Cetacean Strandings Investigation Programme


Environment Agency Incident Helpline


National Bee Unit


If you have an unusual wildlife disease incident to report please contact us and we may be able to provide further advice. Alternatively you should contact your local APHA post-mortem examination centre which can examine unusual mortality incidents in wildlife.

How do I dispose of a dead wild animal?